Definition of 'Center Cut' in Golf

A ball falls into the hole center cut

In golf, the term "center cut" has two meanings. One applies to the position of the hole on the putting green. The other applies to the position of the golf ball as it falls into the hole.

A Center Cut Hole On the Green

Where is the hole/flagstick on the putting green? Is it in the center of the green? Then that green has a center-cut hole. The definition derives from the fact that the hole/cup on the putting green is literally cut: a "hole-cutting tool" is used to cut a plug of turf and sod and lift it up, creating the hole into which the cup liner is sunk and the flagstick is planted.

And when that hole is cut at or near the middle of the green, both in terms of side-to-side and front-to-back, you might hear golfers (or golf announcers on broadcasts) talking about a "center cut hole" or saying "the flagstick is center cut."

A Center Cut Golf Shot or Putt

This is the meaning that is referenced in the photo above, and this usage essentially means "in the middle." A well-struck golf shot — whether a drive or a putt — that goes right down the middle of the fairway or enters the cup directly in the middle (as opposed to falling in from the side) can be called center cut.

For example, a putt that hits the hole straight-on, falling into the middle, might cause a television announcer to say, "that putt was center cut." Or a drive that is bombed down the middle of the fairway: "That drive is center cut."

Popular posts from this blog